Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Big Brew Day

So the time came to brew the next 15 gallons to replace the oatmeal stout I have aging in my recently acquired Dad's Hat whiskey barrel. My father in law, Dennis, was eager to get something else lined up so that the barrel would not run dry. He swung up to my place late on Saturday so that we could brew a Gulden Drak clone first thing Sunday morning. I also invited some of the members of NJ Hopz East, and a few of them were nice enough to swing by. We even had a guest brewer that brought his own rig and brewed a Maibock. Total of 20 gallons got brewed in my back yard.

The Gulden Drak clone recipe we used came out a bit too light in color, and getting used to the keggel setup was challenging. We missed our OG, but I think the final beer will be pretty kick ass. Keggels and outdoor brewing are new things to us, and it will take some time to dial in the whole process. Will be posting some more on this day, as I have a ton of pictures and videos, so stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment