Monday, October 31, 2011

Of inspiration and demotivation

So as a guitarist, practice is a necessary evil. I hate practice, and I lack talent. The result is that I am not a very good guitarist. Normally I am fine with this and just soldier on. However I was recently exposed to a truly talented guitarist playing an original song. It was fantastic. I could never play with such accuracy, regardless of my practice regimen.
This introduces me to my latest struggle: lack of talent. I currently pursue too many hobbies to focus on one correctly, but I feel that I learn much slower than others. Perhaps it is my lack of focus that has me spreading out my abilities too far, but I doubt this. I have been practicing basketball for several years now and I have to face the fact that I will never be very good. My reaction times are too slow, and practice will not really resolve this. Due to my height, the fact that I am not a natural athlete seems to infuriate many of my teammates. I assume that they spent years wishing they had height, see me, and are angered that I do not totally dedicate myself to playing basketball. I guess I can see this point of view, I just wish it did not result in people dumping so much anger and negativity at me. I enjoy basketball, love the exercise, and enjoy playing on a team. Perhaps my teammates feel that because of my casual attitude the only reason I can play at their level is because of my height?  I guess I would be angry too.
I have been trying to figure out why my basketball playing brings out so much anger in others. It is the sole reason I avoided the sport for so many years. It is also one of the reasons I have chosen to pursue the sport later in life. Kind of a face your fears sort of thing. I have learned many lessons from this, but the negativity is starting to wear me out.  As I learned from my last job, I do not respond to fear based incentives or negative reinforcements. However, in the world of jocks and sports, I understand that it would be ridiculous for me to expect any sort of positivity. Male competition is cut throat, with no quarter given to enemies. I just wish my teammates would stop viewing me as an enemy. I suppose if I was better, they might just hate me more, so I guess I can be thankful at my limited skills.
I can make some good beer though!

4 comments:

  1. How about volleyball? That's a good tall-person sport. Or, go the other way. Get good at mini golf. With your height and reach, you might be able to gently stroke the ball straight into the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait - did I just say that? Can't. stop. laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no way that your first post was not intentional......

    ReplyDelete
  4. The interesting thing that I have observed is that there are certainly aspects of your learning abilities that are different, if I were to compare them to my own. For example, I found that you have an innate ability to absorb reading material in a fascinating way. I cannot do that.

    Have you ever considered that you just have to try a different way of absorbing all this? Cognitive science is amazing in and of itself. I am not saying go read books about guitar or basketball, but that might not be the only manner in which you internalize things better.


    Oh yeah, by the way, quitcher cryin' and get back on the court.

    ReplyDelete